Saturday, February 26, 2011

Explanation Of Title

So I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide on a name for my writings.  I decided to look through some of my favourite books to look at what I had underlined, and I came to a part in John Green's section of Will Grayson, Will Grayson where he says this:
" 'I have an idea,' I say.  I can feel her looking at me, and I cinch the hood of my coat.  My ears feel cold like burning. 
And she says, 'What's the idea?'
'The idea is that for ten minutes, we forget that we have feelings.  And we forget about protecting ourselves or other people and we just say the truth.  For ten minutes.  And then we can go back to being lame.'
'I like the idea,' she says."

I wrote this conversation one time between a boy and a woman. They were talking about war and why there are wars.  Their conversation ended with this:
" 'I like the way you talk to me,' Jim said seriously to Beatrice.  'You're not like most people around here - you tell me things that are true.  You tell everyone things that are true.'
Beatrice smiled.  'People need to know the truth, Jim.  I don't care how much it hurts them, people still need to be told the truth.'"

This idea of truth is very important to me.  I want to thrive on the truth.  It is one of the reasons I want to be a journalist - to be able to tell people the truth, even if it ugly or unpleasant for them to hear or just hard to hear. 

But we are human, and we can only take the truth in small dosages some times.  We can take ten minutes and soak up the painful truth, and then we can have a few hours of lameness in order to gather ourselves together and prepare for another ten minutes of truth.

So that's what this will be.  I will take ten minutes at a time and do these writings about the truths that I want to share. 

Thus ends this ten minutes.  





1 comment:

  1. Soooo...yeah. I hope you are ready for comments like the one I am leaving here. Also, sorry your three new comments have all been from moi. Dude...check out astoldbydel.blogspot.com. I have made so much progress. ...and once you see it remember: I am serious about the progress part; it took forjever!

    ReplyDelete