Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day Seventeen: The Rantings Of A Somewhat Delusional Writer

[Fair warning: These are the rantings of a delusional writer who prefers to have characters walk up and introduce themselves in my mind. Just so you know.]

I can’t figure out this man and it’s irritating.
Normally, they come easier, they introduce themselves to me better than this.
But this guy.
I don’t even know his name. He hasn’t told me.
I thought I could get to know him, I thought maybe he was just playing hard to get.
I’m getting irritated by this character. I just want to write him.
So I called him Jeffrey.
But maybe he got mad because I tried to name him. Jeffrey’s not his name.
I’m really sorry, mister.
All day today, for the past several days, actually, I’ve thought about him.
I was picturing Woody Harrelson from True Detective. I thought maybe I just had the picture wrong.


But that’s not right either. It’s closer, but it’s not him.
Is it David, friend? Is that your name? Boy, I wish, you’d just tell me.
I’ve never had this much trouble meeting a character.
And I’ve never wanted to meet any of them more.
No, not David, is it?
Brook.
Brookes.
Your last name is Brookes, isn’t it?
Okay, good. We’re getting somewhere.
Come a little closer, friend.
Regan.
Is your name Regan?
No?
Sorry, sorry!
How do you spell it then?
Reagan?
And she calls you Rey?
Yes.
No.
Oh. That’s her name.
You’re telling me her name.
Reagan.
And you call her Rey.
I get it now.
All right. What say you, friend? Try again?
Sal? Norman? I wish you would just tell me, Brookes.
Wallace? Walter?
Wait, Walter?
Is that your name, Walter?
Why didn’t you just say so, Walter?
Walter’s a fine name, don’t be ashamed of it.
Oh, sorry.
Sore spot.
Your dad named you Walter. And then left. I didn’t know, friend. I’m sorry.
Walter Brookes. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.


No comments:

Post a Comment