Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Do you really not know the earth goes aroud the sun?"

Fact: I've been in love with Sherlock Holmes since I was 14.

Truth: BBC does everything better, including interpret A. C. Doyle's Sherlock. 

Mystery:  Why Benedict Cumberbatch and I aren't best friends.

I'm so proud of BBC for putting little things in their movies that are snippets of Doyle's work that only nerdy Sherlockians like myself would catch, such as Sherlock not knowing that the earth goes around the sun. 
His reasons for not knowing this is that it is useless.  And at first I agreed with John that Sherlock should know this.  After all, it's an important fact.  Right? 

But he's right.  How is this important?  If we went around the moon, would we notice a difference?  Well maybe it is important to know this, but it seems more important to know other things. 
Such as - I'd rather Sherlock know how to show mercy and love than to know about the solar system.  You can't really change and make a person's life better by telling them we go around the sun, but you can if you love them.

I think that's why I love Doyle's Sherlock.  He learns to love as the stories continue.  While BBC doesn't show this, at least in the first three episodes, Doyle shows it well.  Even Sherlock, in his age and wisdom, realizes that going through life merciless and loveless is meaningless.

Maybe that's why I love him so much.  He teaches me, in some odd sort of way, the importance of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment