Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Teddy's Laugh (Or What Happens When A Girl Says Cray-Cray)

[Zis is what happens when I go to Pot Belly when I'm stressed and find myself having a mighty need to write about one of the workers' laugh. Also, did you know that if you type "Full Body Laugh" into Google, the first thing that pops up is Jensen Ackles? You do now.]



His laugh is utterly intoxicating.
It’s dramatic and over the top and makes him erupt into full-bodied giggles.
And I got addicted the very first time I heard it.
I’m not going to lie, I really judge people by their laughter.
Those boys who barely even smile when they laugh? Or those girls who nervously giggle as they twirl their hair in mysterious ways as some kind of human flirtation?
Yeah. I hardcore judge them.
But when Teddy laughs, there is no room for judgment.
I met him for the first time a year after I moved to Nashville. That was after my doey-eyed-everyone-has-my-best-interest-at-and-if-I-just-smiled-enough-I-could-make-everyone-be-nice-to-me phase.
Yes. Go ahead and laugh. I deserved it.
When my boyfriend whom I moved to Nashville for just stopped texting or calling me back and I found out six months later it was because he got some Cindy or Kimberly or Rachel pregnant because I saw it on Instagram, when my landlord jacked up the price of rent a hundred bucks just because he could even though he knew that would mean me choosing between rent and eating every month, when my cat died and my boss laughed heartily when I asked if I could take a half day and then finally said, “Oh, you’re serious,” yeah.
That’s when I knew the doey-eyedness stage of my life was over.
I felt like a walking cliché, to be honest.
Small town girl moves to the “big city” of Nashville to change the world by taking pictures and teaching yoga to kids, ends up being a bartender at a halfway-classy-halfway-shady hipster bar, gets defeated by mean big city.
They would make my life into a desperate Hollywood film if only I had more romantic encounters instead of coming home every night to crackers and popcorn and People Magazine.
One night, a particularly rich group of hipster thirtysomethings-without-children came into my bar and were feeling saintly apparently because I went home with more in tips than I ever had in my year of bartending. So I decided to spoil myself with some of the money and get something for lunch other than ramen noodles and stale oyster crackers.
I had loitered outside of this one café lots of times, wishing I could make the pennies in my pocket magically turn into dollars so I could afford a $15 sandwich. The smells that came out of that place were not from this world, and it felt like they were taunting me.
But that day, I felt so cool as I walked in and proudly ordered a turkey-and-mushroom-on-wheat, sparing no expense and getting a side of sour cream and chive chips and a pickle with my water.
“No fountain drink?” the guy behind the counter asked me with a smile as he handed me my water cup.
“Let’s not go too cray-cray now,” I said, too hungry to think about the words before I said them.
I froze, my hand still outstretched for the water cup but not reaching far enough to actually take it from him.
Had I really just uttered the phrase cray-cray? I looked up in horror, ready to accept the mockery I deserved from this attractive mountain man making my sandwich.
But what I got was the laugh.
That amazing, refreshing, whole-hearted laugh.
“Oh man,” he said, wiping his eyes. “You made my day, sugar.”
I smiled brighter than I had in a year.



No comments:

Post a Comment