Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"What You Call Love..." - Guster

What I believe: Love is an automatic emotion.
What else I believe: Being in love is a choice.
I’m far from a wise, old owl, but I have been around long enough to have made this distinction for my life.
I used to think – like most giggly girls who have watched too many sappy movies – that one fell into being in love when one met The Right Man.
Three failed relationships and a long string of maybes later, and I realized how false that is, at least for me in my life.
There are quite a few people currently in my life that I love, and love dearly. Some friendships that I’ve developed are crazy to me, mostly because our personalities are so different, but I love these friendships even more because I learn so much from them.
In these cases, while I might have chosen to start the friendship or pursue their friendship, I never made a conscious decision to love them.
I can think of one friendship I have in particular where I clearly remember saying to myself, “I want to pursue this person. It will take effort because we are worlds different, but I have a feeling this will be worthwhile.”
A few months later, after establishing and building a solid friendship, I remember looking at this person one night and saying to myself, “I love this person. I truly, humbly love this individual in front of me. How did that happen?”
There have been times along the way in this friendship where this person has acted in a way that pushes my buttons, or they have taken a path I question, but that has not lessened my genuine love for them.
Maybe my like for them, but not my love.
The funny thin is, it would take a tremendous amount of effort for me to stop loving them, if I ever could.
I used to be extremely close friends with a particular individual when I was in college, and I held a ridiculous amount of love for them. Probably too much.
Then life happened, things changed, emotions shifted, and over the span of time, we lost the friendship.
I spent a good while being devastated, trying to win the friendship back. Then I spent a time being angry, so, so angry. Then I spent a good long chunk of time just being apathetic.
Not that long ago, I ran into this person again, after having not seen them for several years. It did not go as I hoped, and I was left feeling bitter and dumb.
I spent awhile this way, trying not to think of this person because I couldn’t shake the bitterness.
A few weeks ago, I saw this person again. I avoided conversing with them because there was nothing left for either of us to say, and I knew that. But the moment I made eye contact with them, the bitterness welled up in me like vomit, and for a few moments, I thought I really was going to be sick.
It hit me hard why: I still loved this person. After months of sadness and anger and years of apathy, I still had love for them. And probably always will.
I can’t control love. At least not easily.
But go back to that second truth for me: Being in love, romantic love, is a choice. At least I have made it so for me.
For me, I have decided to make this truth because it is how I differentiate.
I have been self-conscious around members of the opposite gender for a few years. I know that I show I care about you through touch (hugs, pats, close proximity, et cetera) and I know how that can look. I also know that when I enjoy your company, I am jealous for it and crave it. This is true in my relationships with boys and girls, but rarely have I ever had a girl take this in the wrong way.
I love my guy friends. And because I consider the guy I am currently dating as a friend – as well as something more – I love him, too. Just like the guys I love that I do not See Romantically.
What then is the difference?
If I cannot help but love him because he is my friend and I automatically love all my friends, what is special about our relationship?
If I were one day to get married to someone, how would my love for my husband be different? Do I just say that I love my husband more than others?
I don’t do well with levels. I am too passionate for that.
I have this attribute that is akin to addictive personality: I passionately, hardcore love things. And then when I don’t, I just don’t. I don’t know how to do middle ground.
So I can’t just say I love something, someone, more. I have to have another love for them in order for it to be different.
I will have to choose to have a second love for my spouse.
I firmly believe that in order for me to ever have a healthy marriage, several things must occur in my mind and heart:
I. I have a firm and steady friendship with him so that I always love him, even when he drives me bonkers.
II. I choose to be in love with him every single morning when I wake up. I choose to be with him – physically, emotionally, mentally – every single day, and no one else.
III. I choose to let him love and be in love with me.
Funny how I’m pretty sure something’s true in my life, and then I write it out and realize how one hundred percent true it really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment