Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day Fourteen: Can We Talk About Sex?

Sometimes I wish the church would be more willing to talk about sex.

I tried a church tonight that I had never been to, and they “advertised” that they were going to do a series on sex. Tonight, the particular subject was supposed to be being a single woman.

I got excited.

And yet, even in a sermon about sex, the word sex was never once uttered.

Maybe I’m just strange for wanting to talk about sex in church. Maybe I’m the only one who wants to hear a sermon about appropriate relationships between boys and girls.

But I kind of think no.

I went to a Christian college where the taboo on sex felt extreme. The Ring By Spring thing felt more like a way to let couples have sex – hurry and get married because couples can’t be expected to control their hormones, but sex outside of marriage is not to even be questioned.


I want to make this clear: I believe in sex being a part of marriage and only in marriage. I firmly believe in making a public commitment to share my life with a man in front of God and those I love, and then showing this man my commitment to him through trusting him with my body.

But I would like to talk about this in church. I would like to talk about how lust is a real and strong thing, how we should handle the whole thought of “We can’t have sex but” that a lot of Christians think, how we should deal with temptation within friendship.

So I was excited to hear this pastor talk about sex in the context of single women. Because I’m a single woman, and this is an important topic.

Don’t get me wrong; this sermon was great, and the pastor said a lot of great things that I’m so glad I was there to hear.

But it wasn’t about sex.

I’m just confused why we as followers of Christ seem to never ever talk about sex. Why is that?

I love the verse in the Bible that says our bodies should be a temple of God. This verse to me is not talked about enough. There are so many wonderful things about this concept: Thinking about how we eat, how we rest, how we interact with others, how we punish or reward our bodies. How we have sex.

We as a church are the full body of Christ. We live in community with each other. We share our lives with each other. Shouldn’t we be willing to talk about all aspects of life, even if it makes us a little uncomfortable? Shouldn’t we love each other enough to talk about the nitty gritty, to be willing to go there?


That’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment