Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Day Six: Colin Firth Gets Life

You know when you're a kid, like say six or seven, and you just know that your babysitter is so cool and must have all the answers because they're your babysitter but also because they're an adult?

And then you turn seventeen and you just know that those adults you work with at your after-school job and your parents or mentors or whomever is so wise and must have all the answers because you sure don't but they're real adults?

And then you're about to turn twenty-five and you just know that.

Well.

That no one has all the answers and you realize that you are in fact an adult no matter how much you wish to deny it and apparently it's an adult thing to not know what the crap you're really doing?

And then you realize that if you're an adult, no one can tell you no when you want to eat an entire tub of cookie dough because obviously eating your feelings is an adult trait.

And for those twenty minutes while you eat the entire tub, you think that adulthood's pretty great.

And then you spend the entire night sick as a really sick thing, and in the morning your alarm still goes off at 06:25 and you still have to get up and go to your job and you feel hungover because cookie dough is about as powerful as alcohol, obviously, and you realize that this. This is what adulthood really really looks like.

While we're on the subject of things that adults do, you know that scene in Pride And Prejudice where Colin Firth partially strips and jumps into that nasty, disgusting pond?



All my wannabe British friends are muttering, "Mmmhmmm," in their best homie voice right now.

And everyone else who hasn't seen this adaptation needs to reevalute their lives.

There's a pond that is equally gross looking in the back where I am currently working and today I really, really have to fight this massive urge of doing my best Colin Firth impression and jumping into said pond.

To be honest, I thought about it all day.

Because it seemed so much easier to just take a swim in the pond than deal with my adult problems. Surely my plethora of problems would take a vacation if I pond-jumped.

Right?

I guess it's a good thing I had pen and paper and Ed Sheeran to keep me sane instead of the pond.

Although there's always tomorrow, as a coworker reminded me today. I might jump in tomorrow.

Life sucks sometimes.

I know that one is supposed to keep an optimistic attitude and be nice no matter what's going on inside and all that stuff, but man, sometimes life just sucks and it needs to be socially acceptable just to be able to say that and have it said and then move on.

Life sucks sometimes.

But also, some things make the suck suck just a little bit less.

Sherlock Holmes.

The Sabrina soundtrack.

Watching someone get so tickled they can't stop laughing.

Seeing awe-inducing photography of fathers and their daughters.

Ed Sheeran rapping.

That pond is getting father and father away from my mind the more things I come up with.

Wearing pink on Wednesdays. Side note, which I did. Because on Wednesdays, we wear pink.

Having a cat that seems like she genuinely misses you when you're gone all day.

Lifeguards who make you your own lane in a busy pool.

All right, pond. I won this round, so let's meet again tomorrow and re-evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment