Friday, September 12, 2014

The Challenge Of Writing

So Thursday night I heard this really fantastic man named Kevin Huggins give a talk on purpose and meaning and all kinds of really wonderful things. And he challenged us all to prayerfully consider what God’s overarching purpose for our lives is.

Not in a stressful, oh I have to know right now or else kind of way, but in a practical, smart way.

I’m not going to be able to give you that concise, one-sentence answer Mr. Huggins told us to come up with. One day I can, but right now, I can’t.

I don’t know what the purpose of my life is. I have an idea or two what God is nudging me towards right now, but I don’t think I could say with definite confidence, “THIS is why I am alive.”
And I think that’s okay for right now. I think in a lot of ways, God is offering me His Hand to hold while I figure out a lot of things with Him right now.

But I also know that I need to acknowledge more things that have been instilled in me that are talents, not just weird habits I try to hide.

Which translates to writing.

So after listening to the brilliant Kevin Huggins talk, and then getting the enormous privilege of talking one-on-one with him for a little bit after his talk, I decided to give myself a challenge and see where it goes, which is to write every day for 40 days, and then post it on this’a’here blog.

I thought about giving myself more specific rules, like write an emotion-filled blogpost, or write a continuous story, or write blah blah blah, but I know that I know that I know that I will fail if I give myself those kinds of rules.

So the rule is to just write.

That will look different every day. And that’s okay.

The point is to just write.

So you’re welcome to ignore my blog for the next 40 days, or you’re welcome to glance at what the writing is once in awhile, or whatever.

This is my challenge to myself. And I happen to think it’s a pretty great one for me right now.


Onto the challenge.

1 comment:

  1. How did you get so smart?

    ...You is good.

    ....You is smart.

    ....You is impo'tent (not to be confused with impotent).

    ReplyDelete